It’s a fact that I love baking but at the same time I can’t eat every single bit of it. We are taught sharing is caring since we were in kindergarten. So obviously I share all my preparations with friends and family. Another universal fact is, we all have that one friend in our group who keeps counting calories and fats in everything. So, this recipe is dedicated to that friend of mine who always asks the quantity of butter and sugar first before tasting the delicious food offered, because this recipe does not have any sugar and butter. Yes, you read that right! These delicious banana muffins which are topped with dark chocolate chips are a treat for your diet freak friend.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3/4th cup molasses
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3rd cup water
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼th cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4th cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4th teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
Serving: 12 muffins
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F/ 180˚
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add molasses, applesauce, vinegar and water. Whisk thoroughly.
- Sieve flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together. Add these dry ingredients in bowl in parts, mixing slowly. Once you add all the dry ingredients, fold slowly till it mixes well. At this stage, there will be lumps in the batter but that’s ok. Add walnuts and fold twice or thrice.
- Pour this batter in equal quantities into a muffin pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. This step is totally optional.
- Bake for 22-27 minutes depending on your oven. Remove the muffins once they pass the knife test and let them cool for ten minutes before removing them from the pan.