Avoiding something doesn’t always mean that you hate it; it could also mean that you want it but you know it just isn’t right. This absolutely suits my relationship with sugar. The more I eat it, the more acne my face gets. Trying to go sugar free with the help of honey since last few months. Somehow I have succeeded in it, but this sudden craving for chocolate cake was killing me. I was absolutely not ready to break my diet for this small craving. My husband decided to get a small piece of cake from the bakery, but how can the bakery know what and how I want! So, I decide to do an experiment. I simply replaced sugar with powdered jaggery (concentrated cane sugar). It is not as processed as sugar, hence it works perfect for my skin. I had my taste buds satisfied without failing my diet. Kinda win-win situation, isn’t it!
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 3 tablespoon curd
- 1/4th cup powdered jaggery (concentrated cane sugar)
- 1/4th cup all purpose flour
- 1/4th cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Serving: 2 persons
- Preheat oven at 375º F/ 190º C.
- In a large bowl, add butter, curd and jaggery. Whisk till it blends well.
- In another bowl, sieve flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet and fold gently. Do not over mix it.
- Add chocolate chips and blend them well in the batter. The batter should evenly coat all the chips.
- Grease a baking pan and pour the batter into it.
- Bake for 25 minutes or till it passes the knife test.