I have met many people who have no idea about what banana blossom is! So indeed, they have no idea about delicacies we can make out of it.
The tricky part about this vegetable is cleaning which is way too much time consuming. But when it satisfies your taste buds, your hard work really pays off.
During my childhood, my granny used to make all my cousins including me to clean banana blossom and the deal used to be whoever cleans whatever part, will get to take that home. Intention behind this was to make all children sit at one place for long time so that adults can enjoy some time for themselves. And we cousins also, enjoyed this arrangement because everybody was fan of this vegetable. Some like it in one form while some like in another. My favorite has always been fritters. So I am going to share fritters recipe.
The very first thing you need to look out is how to clean banana blossom. How to clean banana blossom?
- One banana blossom, cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 cup of spring onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon turmeric
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon garam masala
- 2 ½ Tablespoon chick pea flour (Besan)
- Salt as per taste
- Before cutting the banana blossom florets, first keep them in warm water for 10-15 minutes. Then chop them fine.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped florets, spring onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste, all spices and salt. Mix well and keep aside.
- Add flour in above mixture and blend it well with the help of spatula.
- Batter will be sticky. Make patty with hands and deep fry till they turn brown.
- Serve this healthy dish as a snack with a cup of tea or coffee or as an appetizer.