The beauty of this dish is we can have it for breakfast or lunch or even as a snack. Also, it is very quick and easy to prepare, healthy to eat. No wonder, it becomes a street food in Mumbai in no time. Basically Dosa originates from Southern part of India, but gradually people have developed variety in this dish to satisfy their taste buds. Being a Marathi mulagi from Maharashtra, I know how to make bhakari, ghavana etc but had little idea about preparation of dosa, idli and its fermentation process. So instead of doing extreme experiments in this dish, I simply chose to prepare it by taking reference from another blogger, who makes it very simple to understand by demonstrating images step wise.
So here, I have adopted recipe of rava dosa from Veg Recipes of India and coconut chutney from(Veg Recipes of India). I have not made any modifications in the recipe of rava dosa. But I have made one small modification to coconut chutney by adding coriander leaves in it.
The way burger is incomplete without Pattie, dosa is incomplete without Sambar. The main ingredient in it is Toor Daal (Split Red gram). And I have changed it to Moong Daal (Split green gram).
Recipe for Sambar:
- 1 cup of Moong daal (Split green gram)
- Three green chilies, slit vertically
- 1/3rd cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 cup of drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 3 tablespoon Sambar masala ( I used Badshah Sambhar Masala).
- Salt as per taste.
- First boil moong daal and drumstick in pressure cooker with pinch of turmeric and asafoetida.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds start popping, add chilies and curry leaves and leave for ten to fifteen seconds.
- Add onion and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add tomato and sauté for a minute or so.
- Add turmeric and Sambar Blend it well. Do not let spices burn else it will taste weird.
- Now add cooked daal, drumsticks and salt. Add half cup of water and put a lid on the
- Once it starts boiling, tur off the stove and garnish with coriander. Serve hot.