A regular Saturday morning started with a normal healthy breakfast. After spending time doing some chores, it was a time to start preparing lunch. Nothing specific was on my mind and I opened the fridge to check what raw ingredients I had. Ahhhh…. was not so lucky today. Found only a big eggplant, one broccoli crown and few French beans!! I calculated some options in my mind like khichadi with either fried eggplant or roasted broccoli. Happily turned around with my quick decision making and suddenly my husband’s head popped out from the bedroom, “Let’s make something special” and…..baaaaammm!!!! I literally deleted that word “Let’s” from his statement and stamped my brain with the rest of it! “MAKE SOMETHING SPECIAL”.
Looking at the available stuff, it reminded me of two recipes they prepare on different continents, which were “Imam Bayildi” and “Eggplant Lasagna”. An idea just flipped in my mind; why not make a combination of those? And here it comes “Stuffed Eggplant Lasagna”:
- One eggplant
- One cup finely chopped broccoli
- One cup finely chopped French beans
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- Three cloves of finely chopped garlic
- One cup pizza sauce
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and powdered black pepper to taste.
- Cut the stem ends from each eggplant and cut eggplants in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh and chop it finely. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat two tablespoons of olive oil and add the eggplant(hollows), cut side down. Stir fry for five minutes. Now keep it aside.
- Now in the same pan, heat remaining one tablespoon of olive oil and add finely chopped garlic, broccoli, French beans and the finely chopped fleshy part of the eggplant. Sauté for ten to twelve minutes.
- Now add half cup of pizza sauce in sautéed vegetables and stir fry for three to four minutes.
- Heat Oven at 350º F / 180º C.
- On a baking sheet spread remaining half of the pizza sauce and put eggplant(hollows) on it – cut side up.
- Sprinkle salt and black pepper on eggplant.
- Stuff vegetable mixture in eggplant.
- Spread parmesan and mozzarella cheese on the stuffed eggplant.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes. (till eggplant becomes tender).
- Serve Hot.